Week 12: Comics by Women

The comics I read for Women's comics were Ms Marvel and Bitch Planet.

I really enjoyed Ms Marvel because of the attention to detail not only in her personality but also for the attention to detail for her culture. It's not a culture I myself have been exposed to much, and I found it very interesting to get a point of view from a character who goes through what most teenagers go through but in different ways. I also enjoyed learning about some of the misconceptions that outsiders are exposed to.

Overall it felt really solid and it was a good read. I'm interested and really wanted to read more. The main character is very likable, and the art style is appealing and compliments the character. 

Bitch Planet was also interesting, as it was another take on a young girl who is from a different culture than my own. It's a fun contrast to read Ms Marvel and Bitch Planet side by side because of the stark contrast of one character doing good and another doing bad, but all for the sake of someone else. Bitch Planet felt a little empty to me in someways, or some of what was going on didn't feel quite as relevant to the story at the beginning, compared to Ms Marvel. Everything in Ms Marvel felt like it was serving a purpose for the story, but Bitch Planet felt more trivial at the beginning and very much from an outsider's perspective. Although, by the end of it I was wanting to know more about this character and what road she had taken by this point. 

I like both of these comics because of their investment into the cultural details, and they feel very specific and like real people. That's something I don't seem to get a lot of when I read comics. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Assignment 3: Comic Strips

Week 8: Stereotypes