Week 11: Contemporary Literature

In class. Read a lot of interesting things! 

I think my favorite was Bone. It has such an interesting and funny commentary on our daily lives, but they take an interesting spin with the characters and the humor of it. 
Sin City's story wasn't very enthralling, however the art was quite something.
One that I wish I could have read more was Every Girl is the End of the World for Me. It started off very interesting and relatable to me, and I would like to get to finish that at some point.

Why I hate Saturn

Defining characteristics: 

Starts off with narration and wider illustrations
Gradually gets closer to the characters
About a girl who is unsatisfied with every aspect of life
Black and white ink drawings
Fairly detailed

Every Girl is the End of the World for Me

Defining characteristics:

More cartoony style
Speech bubbles
Cast list that serves as prologue
Loose pen drawings
Chapters are separated by dates
Crosshatched during night time
Written sound effects

Optic Nerve

Characters are so generic that I didn’t know there were two main characters
Very cleaned up drawings
Toned More realistic style
6-9 panels per page
adult content
Speech bubbles
All characters are unlikable

Bone

Speech bubbles
Emphasized words
Colorful
Cartoony
Humorous (haha)
Continuous story and written sound effects

Sin City

Film noir
No tans
Edgy
Realistic with speech bubbles
Action based
Simple and straightforward conflict

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Assignment 3: Comic Strips

Week 8: Stereotypes

Week 12: Comics by Women